Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Gun Toting

My family is surprised at how conservative our community is. I think that like many people, they think Seattle when they hear Washington. Well, we might as well be a million miles away from Seattle.

We've been assured that if anything "went down" in this area, we'd be completely safe and protected because the population is armed to the teeth. I always wonder what they think is going to happen in rural Washington. Are they worried about a hostile take over? In a county with more cows than people, I don't think we'd garner much attention from any invading party.

On Sunday as we drove home from church, we passed a man standing on the side of the road. He fit right into the landscape--scruffy, camo jacket, beat up hat, with a dirty pick up as his backdrop. And he was holding a gun.

It is one thing to hear about all the guns that people around here own. It is another to see them out on our roads and in the middle of our lives.

1 comment:

  1. It must have been unnerving for you. I grew up around guns. I shoot them, carry them and am comfortable with them in my home.
    (I should be, my husband keeps packing out safe with them.)
    My guess is that if they are a gun toteing town there is a well used gun range.
    You might want to consider going and shooting a few rounds. It might help you get comfortable.

    ReplyDelete