Saturday, January 8, 2011

Solitude

This week I saw a total of three people: my daughter, my husband, and the girl working at the post office. That last one was only because we had a package to pick up.

I have had a hard time adjusting to the long days alone with a toddler. I used to break up the days by going shopping, visiting the library, going to the park and the zoo. But that's just not an option anymore. It's too cold to play outside, I don't normally have a car during the day, and it takes forever to drive anywhere anyway.

So I've come up with a plan to cope with the long days alone. Some might call them New Year's resolutions.

* Write something every day--blog posting, journal entry, creative writing. Subject and content isn't important, just the time spent writing.
* Read more, watch TV less.
* Do some form of exercise every weekday.
* Try a new recipe once a week.
* Take a few minutes to watch the sunrise and sunset every time they're not covered by the clouds or fog.
* Open the blinds on sunny days.
* Call one of my sisters if I'm feeling stir crazy.
* Get on the floor and play with my toddler every day.
* Read to my toddler every day.
* Work on a project every day.
* Celebrate random holidays.
* Keep a list of events to look forward to.

I'm not usually a fan of the landscape around here. But when the weather is good, the sunrises and sunsets are beautiful.


2 comments:

  1. I love your list Emilee. Even being a city-girl still I'll definitely have to steal a few. Because city or no city, babies make you a little stir crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those sunrise and sunset pictures! Amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete